Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Best Pizza in Seguin?

 Best pizza in Seguin. In Seguin? I have truly come across some good pizzas in my lifetime, but unfortunately some of the best, are just memories.
 Many years ago I had a slice of pizza in New York that you had to fold, just to eat, it was so big, no skimping on the toppings here. Pizza has just as many toppings and crust styles as hamburgers. As a teenager about 30 years ago, Dominoes was King, they loaded the cheese on back then. There was this place called Shakey's Pizza, where an old time piano player played 1920's themed music and Laurel and Hardy movies played on movie projectors, you could get a Styrofoam hat by just asking, and the thin crust sausage was the best. My wife and I had a little romantic getaway in San Antone, called Fratelli's, its now closed but the thin crust was perfected with quality chunks of toppings that made it a personal fav. With the onslaught of profiteering chain establishments, the ingredients seem to have disappeared, Seems like somebody is making money selling  flavored bread. Especially the buffet pizza has, what I call paper ingredients. I think these places have a chart with a picture of a little cup, on how much of an ingredient to put on the pizza.(Remember the commercial "Where's the Beef?") I think its in the pockets of the owners. What is up with delivery? You almost have to take out a loan to get a couple of large pizzas, and the delivery charge is almost as much as the pizza. After paying 4.00 or 5.00 dollars for delivery and tax, do you still tip on top of that? Now for Seguin. If your in a hurry, Lil' Ceasers has everybody beat and also the least expensive on Tuesday's. I went to CiCi's the other day because I was low on cash, they used to offer 3.99 buffet, but the price now is about 7.00 dollars. I must give a mention to the manager, he was extremely courteous, and seemed to genuinely care, but not much to talk about here. Great place to take the kids. I really don't eat at Mr. Gattis any more, without elaborating something happened to this place that steers me away. This new Papa Murphy's concept is hard for me to understand, why would I want to take a pizza home and cook it? Is the taste really better? Dominoes was a fav as a kid. I have heard mention of a few local Italian restaurants offering pizza, but the Italian places in Seguin seem to be open one day and closed the next. Walmarts freezer section offers up a variety, but none cut the mustard for me, recently at Walmart I thought I had found a compromising good deal with a Great Value thin crust, but the price went from 4.00 one week to 6.50 the next. Whats up with that? As you can see from the picture, there was an estimate of 6 little pieces of sausage and a few pepperonis. I don't think I'll be wasting any more money on that. For the Value and taste Rosies pizza gets my vote, but for strictly taste Papa John's, its expensive though look for coupons, deal of the month and I think on Monday , you can carry out a large 1 top for 6.99. If you are anywhere down wind of this place you can smell the goodness in the air. I'm planning a trip to Chicago, and Pizza and Italian Sausage is definitely on my list of must do's. Happy Eating!
?

1 comment:

  1. Have you noticed that Pappa John's is no longer so? It's now operating under it's own name though I cannot recall what the new name is; got Bear in it I think. Still great pizza.

    ReplyDelete